Monday, January 30, 2012

The "C" Word again and again

For so many of us when we hear that someone we know has the "C" word ..... Cancer.
We never know quite what to think and feel.

Is it the "go get a mole removed and its like it never happened" type or is it the "Johnny found out on Tuesday and was gone by Friday" type or one of many types in between?
Will it be the "beat all the odds" story or the "medical comedy of errors should have never happened" story?

That's exactly how it was when I found out about my aunt and then we did a combo pack of the above options.


Its strange looking back at how clear and perfect God's plan always is!
A couple of years ago we had an amazing family reunion, first one in FOREVER.  (everyone else is from southern california and arizona)

We all enjoyed each other sooooo much and kept saying how needed it was. Right after she returned the "C" word was handed down.

The picture was bleak... Her PET scan was lit up like a Christmas tree, they finally decided it probably started as breast cancer.  Then the miraculous happened she went into near remission.  It all made sense then, of course she'd be fine, just a scare so we made sure to appreciate each other.

Then.... it came back with a VENGENCE.  We started to coming to the ultimate realization that it was back and was determined to stay.  My Aunt and Uncle made a trip up here to visit and connect with my family "one last time" she was exhausted and still no hair from chemo but she made the most of every moment.

I still couldn't believe that this whole thing could be happening to her... to say she is full of life is the epitome of an understatement.

The next year came and went and she was still here fighting, coping and living.  I kind of started to forget about it... She was still here and she was "fine" but my beautiful land of denial couldn't last forever.

This summer .... we really had to start coming to terms with the fact that her time on this earthly plane was limited and every day was borrowed.

That was when she made a trip up here that has forever changed who I am as a person, right down to the core of my being.

1 comment:

  1. It's like a bad fucking dream. I caught her on a good day last August, and I'm grateful for it. She is by far one of the bravest people I know, and I am a better person because I know her.
    ~Namaste

    ReplyDelete